[Zope] MailHost from 2.5.1 does not work in 2.6.0, was: Script from 2.5.1 does not work with 2.6.0

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:54:47 +0100

From: "Clemens Robbenhaar" <robbenhaar@espresto.com>
>  I guessed a little hint about this incompatibility in the release notes
> would have been nice, but I can find nothing in this regard.

I don't think anybody really was aware of it... :-/
It has to be fixed to 2.6.1 of course.

The question is: Should the fix be to cast the smtp_port into an int every
use (simple, functional, safe, ugly) or something else?

>  Did I miss some place to look at, or should the release notes possibly
> be improved with respect to this?

I checked some history. Up to 2.4 it was stored as an integer. For some
reason it was changed between the final 2.5 beta and 2.5 release to be
stored as a string, and then cast into an integer each time it was used. I
don't know the rationale behind this change.

However, the current MailHost is first appeared as a fix for several header
problems I had already back in Zope 2.3, and this is probably why this
change between 2.4 and 2.5 wasn't caught by the 2.6 MailHost. I based it on
a 2.5 beta MailHost and must simply have missed this change, or at least not
realized the effects of it.