[Zope] Python problems if one has Python 2.2 installed

Yves Moisan yves.moisan@videotron.ca
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:20:19 -0400

Hi,

I haven't found a bug-report channel and there are such a number of mailing
lists that I don't know where to submit this.  Please put the following
message where it should go.

This is to report a glitch in the Wnidows installation of Zope 2.5.1.  The
installation said it completed successfully, but this is not true since I
had gotten the "'import site' failed; use -v for traceback" error message
from Python at installation time.  I had to go check manually what was
going on and I found that the Python that comes with Zope
(.../bin/python.exe), which I gather runs Python 2.1, actually was looking
for stuff in my Python 2.2 installation.  It said somewhere on the Zope
site that the Python interpreter that comes with Zope does not interfere
with other installations of Python.  This is simply not true.  I had a
PYTHONPATH variable set for my Python 2.2 and I had to delete the
environment variable for the Zope python interpreter to launch successfully
( I tried putting the 2.1 dirs ahead, but that did not work).  There has to
be a better shielding between the Zope Python interpreter and the outside
world (especially other implementations of Python ...) and there has to be
a definite mention of that problem in the install.txt file.

Cheers,

Yves Moisan
Yves Moisan, Ph. D.
yves.moisan@videotron.ca