[Zope] Unifying user authentication.

Alec Munro alec.munro@eoascientific.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:26:42 -0300

Hi all,
I'm getting better, but there's still quite a bit I don't understand
about Zope, Apache, and Linux.
Since I am running a system with the three of them, and the date that it
will go into production is coming up, I thought I should try to figure
out  how I am going to handle user authentication.
My primary experience with user's is that of using MySQL for that
purpose, with users having a crypt-ed password. I have implemented this,
but  it is only particularily good for the system I have built on top of
Zope (in this case, primarily a forum), and I would like ideas on how to
unify my current system with the User Authentication facilities
available through Zope, Apache, and Linux. I am not heavily invested in
my current system, though having a MySQL-based system is quite useful in
terms of doing joins against other things that I do need the database for.
Probably one of the most difficult things is that I am not sure what I
need the users to be able to do in each situation. But I'll try to give
my best guess at these.
In Linux, I need to be able to create users that can SSH in and install
programs within their area of the system, as well as modify the
configuration of any system-wide programs they are relying on(such as
Apache or MySQL). In terms of Apache, there may be entire dynamic sites
built outside of Zope (due to the skillsets of other developers), so I
will need to provide user authentication for these sites (which I guess
could be done through MySQL fairly simply, assuming we wanted to carry
users between sites). In Zope, I am undecided. I want to allow
non-programmers access to upload and create files, and change
configuration to some extent, and while I am leaning towards creating
something myself for this functionality, I get the feeling that with a
better understanding of  Zope, I could pull this off  fairly easily, but
as I do not yet have that understand, I plead that someone at least give
me a shove in the right direction.
Thanks for reading this whole thing, any comments at all are appreciated.

Alec Munro