[Zope] New to zope

Shad Young shad.young@sympatico.ca
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 01:55:27 -0400

Howdy all, I am new to Zope and python. I have configured a zope server and
created a rudimentary site as a learning tool (see my sig). I have three
concerns atm.

1. I find navigating the docs on zope.org an exercise in frustration. Can
somebody point me to the reference that outlines what each of the default
installations permissions mean? Like a glossary of terms .. something like
"access transient objects means blah" as well as general settings
recommendations.

2. Many of the examples I find in the docs just don't work. For instance,
adding a zclass. Following the directions yields results nothing like those
described in the docs. Is this a version problem? Python problem? Platform
problem (development on XP, [live site is on debian, but no exports from one
to the other has occurred yet because I have as yet to get windows ver
working right it seems]).

Following the advice of a local Zope guru, I downgraded my activestate
python 2.2 to a vanilla python 2.1.3, and moved the zopesite from Program
Files to the %systemroot% using windows uninstall and then reinstalling. Now
zope refuses to start as a service and it seems to want to compile its
modules against the python installation instead of its own native python
(windows zope binary install). I also have three dead zope instances in my
services tab in windows that I desperately want to get rid of as they refuse
to go away. Silly me forgot to do a restore point before installing zope so
stepping back is not an option. How can I uninstall python and zope
completely from my system as if it wasn't there? Then for a winXP Pro SP1
box what is the recommended versions for stable and useful zope
self-instruction.

As far as Zope itself goes, I am in love with it. It is a brilliant concept
that I can not wait to deploy.

Cheers
Shad

Have an article, story or essay you want to publish online? We need content.
Ascendant: food for the thinking mind.  http://www3.sympatico.ca/sberaud