[Zope] install problem/web server compatibility

Doug Hellmann doug@hellfly.net
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:48:06 -0400

On Tuesday 08 October 2002 8:05 am, Robert Nagle wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to install zope for the first time on my home server. I'm
> using the 2.6 beta  in a linux rh 7.2 environment and I've installed
> from source. I'm not a programmer, but a technical writer who finds the
> zope project interesting. I need to serve static pages and my cms from
> the same box, and I use 2 virtual hosts in apache.
>
> I'm a bit confused  about the current error message and about my options
> for compatibility with apache.
>
> First, I plan to run it through apache. The install document included
> with the zope mentions two options:  PCGI and fastcgi. Another helpful
> document
> http://www.zope.org/Members/regebro/Zope_and_Apache mentions two other
>
> 1. From a performance point of view, how does fastcgi compare to
> proxypass and rewrite?

I've got a site set up with rewrite rules that performs very well.  In the
past I've had performance problems with PCGI and FastCGI, although for a
relatively low load site you would not be likely to have too much trouble.

> 2.  I'm unclear about the order in which you need to configure
> apache/virtual host monster. First, you install zope, then you do
> "start" to verify a successful install, then you configure apache, then
> you restart the start script. Right? .  I'm guessing that zserver will
> launch by default if you haven't set anything up. I'm guessing that zope
> will still fire up even if your settings for proxypass or rewrite are
> wrong. Am I right?

That's right.  Zope runs independently of Apache, and does not know about the
Apache config file.  You will be able to access Zope directly on its port
(something like 8080), as well as through Apache via the rewrite rule.

> 3.  When you're troubleshooting/testing, the only way to test/verify is
> by trying to access it through the browser, right?  Well, aside from
> checking apache logs, of course.

Yes, being able to see what you expect in the browser is the best test.  You
can also refer to var/debug.log in the Zope directory for error messages from
the server, especially during startup.

[...]

> I have run the program as root.  Here is what I see.
>
> (at the end of the normal logging after running ./start )
> 2002-10-08T04:44:35 PANIC(300) z2 Startup exception
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   Module __main__, line 831, in ?
> SystemExit: initgroups is required to safely setuid
>
> So what is going on? Thanks.  Robert Nagle, Houston Texas

Ew, I haven't seen that one.  Maybe someone else has, though?

Doug