[Zope] install problem....solved! /newbie bulletin board

Robert Nagle rjnagle@houston.rr.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:46:49 -0500

Like a good citizen, I feel compelled to document the server install problem I had. (Thanks by the way to Mr. Hamid for clueing me about the problem).

The problem was permissions and omissions in the documentation provided with zope 2.60beta 1.

1. The owner of the gzip file needs to be the user to run zope.
2. That zopeuser should also own the directory into which the zope zipped file will be unzipped.
3. The user who runs the ./start script should be the user that runs apache, not root or zopeuser. Actually by configuring zope with -u apacheuser -g apachegroup , it already puts the right permissions in place, so that the user of the start script is apacheuser.

Although I understand that the documentation is running after a moving target (I am myself a technical writer), I am finding that the documentation in the zipped file doesn't mention newer and more direct installation alternatives. I found Regebro's document on http://www.zope.org/Members/regebro/Zope_and_Apache to be unusually helpful.

I was wondering. I hate to clutter this mailing list with newbie problems. Have you ever thought about setting up bulletin board space dedicated to typical newbie problems (of which my own is a pathetic example). I found, for example, that the gentoo user forums http://forums.gentoo.org/ do an incredible job of documenting user problems and solutions and separating newbie problems with other kinds of problems.  (I might have forum space to contribute...) It would probably be better as a forum rather than a mailing list (which are less visible on the web). rj

Robert Nagle
Technical Writer, Trainer & Linux Aficionado
Houston, Texas 77083
www.idiotprogrammer.com