[Zope] Is Zope the answer?

Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:50:42 -0700

Yes - Zope is THE answer... ;)

I don't usually speak in absolutes, but I know a good match when I see one.
Take a look at the CMF and perhaps Plone (which is a nice UI on top of CMF).
Both would be easily be a good starting framework for content-oriented sites
(since you want to catalog events, news items, photos, ads).  The CMF does
membership, discussion, etc.

You would need to do a bit of work to get email-list management appended to
such a framework, but other than that there are a lot of people who have
done at least a good portion of the things you mention using the CMF.

Another nice benefit to Zope and the CMF is relational database integration
for things like booking.  For example, let's hypothetically say you had an
event that had booking info related to it stored in the relational database.
In the Plone UI, for example, in the skins tool you would simply add a page
template and python script that used a ZSQL method to get a listing of
bookings for that event object, then you would go into the "actions" for the
event type in the Types tool and add the name of that method as an object,
and it would automatically appear in the UI as a tab for the object.  So you
could then click on that tab to list your bookings stored in a relational
database for the said content object.  I guess what I am saying is that Zope
really exemplifies the "best in class" in creating web applications with
hybrid storage paradigms.

http://cmf.zope.org
http://www.plone.org

I work for a large daily US newspaper, and we are porting most of our site
infrastructure to the CMF (it's good stuff, I promise!).  Plus, Python
really gives you the ease of PHP with the scalability of Java. I would post
this question to the Zope-CMF list or to the Plone-Users list (on
sourceforge); I think you might get some good responses from people who have
created components like portions of what you describe.

Cheers,
Sean