[Zope] Zope and Lotus Notes questions

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:35:21 +0100

--On 17 October 2002 23:08 +0200 Fernando Martins <fmartins@hetnet.nl>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking for information regarding Lotus Notes and Zope. I've
> found too little in the zope web site (one testimonial saying that Notes
> sucks but no explanation and the Beehive conversion from Notes to Zope,
> but no details).
>
> I tried searching on Yahoo groups simply by looking by Lotus but, weird, I
> get several messages but they don't contain the lotus word!!
>
> I'm not familiar with neither (I've seen a demo on Notes Designer and I've
> done the zope tutorial) and probably I'll have to go to Lotus Notes for
> policy reasons, unless I find examples of what can I do with Zope but not
> with Lotus Notes/Domino.

People with Notes & Zope expertise include NIP:
<http://www.nipltd.com>

> I'm also looking for the possibility to connect to Lotus Notes databases
> (import/export).
>
> Finally, Lotus Designer provides a Visual development environment. From
> what I've read, Zope seems to be at disadvantage here, ie, to create a
> database oriented application I've to code DTML/ZPT by hand. I understand
> I can use an HTML designer and then hand-code the ZPT part. Something
> better than this, or have I overlooked something. Anything RAD-like for
> zope?

I'm not sure if they're "RAD-like" or more of a "quick leg up", but there
are products like

<http://www.zope.org/Members/zwork/Znolk_SQL_Wizard>
and
<http://www.zope.org/Members/adustman/Products/SQLBlender>

which quickly produce bare bones code which you can then
make pretty.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/