[Zope] Problems with restarts, memory usage, DB connections, FastCGI ?? Help!

Jamie Heilman jamie@audible.transient.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:46:35 -0700

>  > The symptoms of the problem are as such:
>  >
>  > Every once in a while, zope stops responding for a few minutes
>  > ... Sometimes it comes back on it's own, sometimes it takes too
>  > long and I restart it manually.
> We have seen similar behaviour (Zope 2.5.1, Solaris 2.5,
> Apache+FastCGI) as long as we used FastCGI.
>
> We switched from FastCGI to "mod_rewrite" with "[P]" rewrite rules
> and the problem disappeared.

The placed I used to work saw this all the time using PCGI and
mod_pcgi2.  Usually happened on hosts with a reasonable amount of
traffic.  We managed to track down a few instances of the hangs to
large file uploads, a few others to just bad programming in our
products, and atleast 1 instance to broken threading on FreeBSD 4.3,
but that was fixed in later releases.  Never completely solved all the
hangs though.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"...thats the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle