[Zope] Re: Log Rotation

Andreas Tille tillea@rki.de
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:33:47 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for answering in private, but I do not want to blur the zope list
with Debian stuff.  Feel free to quote me anywhere you want in public.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, De ZORZI Frederic wrote:

> If you use GNU/Linux Debian, simply put that (executable) script in
> /etc/cron.monhtly :
>
> #! /bin/bash
>
> echo "Rotating zope server logfile"
> cd /var/lib/zope/var/
By the way, this is a long standing bug in the Zope package:
See bugs #57799, #60533, #71923 and #100158.

> savelog -g root -m 640 -u root -c 7 /var/lib/zope/var/Z2.log > /dev/null
This file is empty since one month for me which is really strange.
Any hint whether this might be caused because of my log rotation
procedure:

  ~> cat /etc/logrotate.d/zope
  /var/lib/zope/var/Z2.log {
	notifempty
	daily
	rotate 7
	missingok
	compress
  }

I've thought this would be the right thing to do but you did a different
proposal ...

> savelog -g root -m 640 -u root -c 7 /var/lib/zope/var/application.log >
Hmmm, I do not have such a file on my installation?  What is logged here?

> /dev/null
> /etc/init.d/zope restart
Is it really necessary to restart Zope?  This seems really strange to me
and I would think this is a real bug in Zope.

> The 'savelog' script is in debianutils package (a little bash script)
>
> If not, why don't you use debian ? :)
Is there any other option to run a rock solid Linux??

Kind regards

        Andreas.