[Zope] Responding to hackers

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:46:52 -0700

I'm sure we've all seen our servers get scanned repeatedly for
vulnerabilities in other systems.  A quick check through the error logs
show some obvious examples of this, including requests for:

/_vti_bin
/scripts
/MSADC
/MSOFFICE

Etc, etc.

Almost inevitably, these requests come in bursts, typically from the same IP.

All of these calls are currently getting the customary 404, but I wonder if
there's anything more intelligent or proactive to be done.  I've thought
about building myself a hosts-deny kind of solution using external methods,
but I'm not sure that's necessarily going to save me very many cycles in
the long run.

Has anybody thought of a better way to handle this kind of stuff?

TIA,

Dylan