[Zope] Re: [Zope-CMF] Using XRon to backup my portal

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:51:50 -0800

In theory, if you are not dependent upon use of ZODB versions, consideration
of DirectoryStorage may be warranted: it has a 'snapshot' mode that defers
new transactions to a temporary holding directory while the main directories
containing objects are frozen, allowing you to use standard Unix backup
tools like tar/cpio+find for incremental backup and/or replication.  It
should be noted that DirectoryStorage also includes a backup.py script that
uses the storage to get a list of changed files that will work as a
replacement for using the 'find' command.  Once the full and/or incremental
backup is complete, the storage can leave snapshot mode and all transactions
in the holding directory are flushed into the main directory
(asynchronously, I think).

	http://dirstorage.sf.net

Cheers,
Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Vagelpohl [mailto:jens@zope.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 7:54 AM
To: Ausum Studio
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Re: [Zope-CMF] Using XRon to backup my portal

i have never seen it that the original file is "frozen" during that
copy operation. i have successfully copied Data.fs files up to 5 GB (on
linux) without any indication that the website had any trouble. if you
can verify that the original turns "read-only" during the copy then
that could be a windoze-only thing.

jens