[Zope] performance issues

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:33:29 +0000

On Monday 28 October 2002 11:24 am, John Doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a Zope-application (2.5.1, Python 2.1.3)
> on a dual processor (1 GB mem) Redhat 7.3 machine.
> User-authentication is done by the
> exUserFolder-product (on Postgresql 7.2.1). An
> apache-server runs in front of the Zope server.
>

> Now for the problem/questions.
> Problem: unacceptable performance with 200
> requests/sec.
> Questions:
> - which steps can be taken to improve performance ?

The answer probably involves caching. either inside Zope at application l=
evel,=20
inside zope at ZODB level, or in front of Zope. You meed to measure where=
=20
your bottleneck is, and put a cache in front of it.

Another answer might involve a second machine, and ZEO. 200req/s isnt bad=
=2E

> for the moment 6 child processes are running which
> each use 60 MB of memory (?isn't this alot) ;

No, thats 60M between them.=20

This is not alot.

> increasing the number of threads will probably help,

probably not if your machine is already cpu bound.

> but if each thread will probably use 60 MB

zope memory usage is proportional to the number of threads, but that figu=
re is=20
a total of all threads.

For this reason, you may (or may not) be better off with half as many thr=
eads=20
each with a cache twice as big.=20