[Zope] Is Python 2.2 bad?

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:19:18 -0500

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 04:52:48PM -0500, harry lee wrote:
> I was of the impression zope used its own copy of python (and it's
> currently 2.1) if this is incorrect, could someone provide chapter and
> verse?

It depends on installation technique.  If you download a binary
distribution from zope.org, it is set up with its own binary.  If you
download and compile a source distribution from zope.org, then it will
use the system default python, unless you tell it otherwise.  (That is,
you can override what binary python will be, but the download does not
include the source for python itself, and if you have multiple python's,
then you can tell it which to use.)

If you use a linux distribution's zope, then it will probably use the
python that is distributed by the distribution.  I know of none that do
not use their distributions python, but hey, lets be careful!

Jim Penny