[Zope] Re: Xron or cron + wget?

Josef Meile josef.meile@imes.mavt.ethz.ch
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:46:52 +0100

--- In zope@y..., Ruslan Spivak <alienoid@i...> wrote:
 > Hello zope users,
 >
 > Could anybody experienced with Xron tell me if it is stable or it's
 > better to use cron + wget?

I use both. Xron is useful to give you reports and other complicated
tasks, but sometimes it doesn't work when you need manager rights.
I guess you could first test your xronMethods and see if they work. If
they don't, then you will have to use cron + wget + a protected .wgetrc
file to hide the username and password.

Perhaps some people will say:
"why don't you allways use the second method?" - Easy, I want to
keep most of my content inside the Zope DB and also I want to
test it on a Windows plataform. Other disadvantage of the second
method is that you could forget to copy some files when migrating
to another server. Anyway, not always is possible to have what you
want.

Other posibility, which some body else mentioned once here, could
be:
http://webware.sourceforge.net/Webware-0.7/TaskKit/Docs/
It would be nice to know if somebody has tried it into zope?

Regards,
Josef