[Zope] Unicode Error

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:27:22 +0100

Juan Manuel Ruiz Garcia writes:
 > I'm getting this error since I upgraded to Zope 2.6 (from 2.3). Formerly,
 > everything was going ok.  What can be the problem??:
 >
 > Traceback (innermost last):
 >   Module Script (Python), line 32, in marcaResultados
 >    - <PythonScript at /jmruiz/1X2/marcaResultados>
 >    - Line 32
 > UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)
Somehow you get a unicode string and implicitly convert it into
a normal string.

  Python uses the "defaultencoding" for such conversions.
  If it is not specified in "sitecustomize.py", Python
  uses ASCII encoding. Thus, when you unicode string contains
  a non-ASCII character, you get the above exception.

As you live in a Western country, you probably should set
"sys.setdefaultencoding('iso-8859-1')" in your
"sitecustomize.py".

Dieter