[Zope] Zope with python 2.1.3, but my linux uses python 2.2

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:25:05 -0700

You need Python 2.1 and the modules compiled with/for it, because a lot of
modules, esp. database stuff, uses C code linked to the Python interpreter.

Move /usr/bin/python to /usr/bin/python2.2 - Install Python 2.1.3 from
source.  Have the binary be installed as /usr/bin/python2.1 and set up
/usr/bin/python as a symlink to python2.2... Make sure your /usr/lib/python
tree is actually /usr/lib/python2.2 and respectively, /usr/lib/python2.1.
It is quite likely that to keep your 2.2 binary install from getting messed
up, you will need to symlink /usr/lib/python to /usr/lib/python2.2.  Install
Zope from source tar file by untarring and running wo_pcgi.py with
/usr/bin/python2.1.

In theory, this should work.

Sean

P.S. You could always consider a switch to Debian, which keeps official
packages for both python2.1 and python2.2, along with all the module goodies
for each.
Modules and related packages for both (125 for 2.2, 123 for 2.1):
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=python2.2-&se
archon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=python2.1-&se
archon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all