[Zope] Re: zeo : use cases

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:25:51 -0500

Mark McEahern wrote:
> 1.  Setup ZEO on another server (I know theoretically I can have ZEO on the
> same server).
> 2.  Start ZEO.
> 3.  Stop Zope on ths standalone server.
> 4.  Backup Data.fs, place a copy on the ZEO server.
> 5.  Place a custom_zodb.py in the INSTANCE_HOME folder of the standalone
> Zope server; the custom_zodb.py points to the ZEO server.
> 6.  Start Zope on the previously standalone server.
>
> Is that all there is to it?

Pretty much, but don't start ZEO until after step 4.  Also, make sure
your ZEO connection is secure -- if both machines aren't on the same
well-firewalled network use a VPN, stunnel, or similar.

Always always ALWAYS make sure that ZEO is stopped before trying to
restore/replace the Data.fs.  This isn't special to ZEO (you should do
the same with a standalone Zope) but it's very easy to shut down your
Zope and forget that the ZEO server is still running.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am