[Zope] hidden form fields-based identification

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:50:41 +0200

Mario Bianchi writes:
 > I need to provide my site the feature of logged-in users, i.e.I would like
 > to use hidden form fields storing some sort of identifier so to recognize a
 > remote user after he has first logged in.
Do not do that. It is very tedious.

   This is because you need a form to have a hidden form field.
   All your internal links must then be wrapped by a form.
   Following the link becomes a form submit.
   You end up with lots of Javascript (which many persons disable
   due to security concerns).

 > This to avoid using the default HTTP authentication, which sends username
 > and password in the clear for every request.
 > I know CMF does this using cookies, does anybody know any
 > tools/products/anything using hidden form fields for this purpose?
There is a product that allows session ids to be coded as part
of the URL. This way, you can avoid cookies. I do not know its name.

Dieter