[Zope] heavy process

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:17:47 +0200

Antonio Beamud Montero writes:
 > I'm having a problem with an external method that executes a heavy
 > process. The action it tries to complete fails, (concretely, split an
 > avifile with divx in several files using avisplit, a tool from transcode
 > package). If the file I try to split is little, all works ok...
 >
 > I use os.system to do this task...
 > If I execute the same code outside zope, all works fine, with big files
 > or less big files...
There is no reason whatsoever, why the result should be different
when started from Zope or a shell. "os.system" starts a new process,
independent of Zope (almost).

They share, however, some few resources, e.g. open file descriptors.
Check (e.g. with "lsof" (list open files)) whether a lack of file
descriptors may be the problem.

Dieter