[Zope] Site evolution and redirection strategies

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 17:18:00 -0700

If I want to duplicate an object, it currently involves:

1) selecting it.
2) scroll to bottom
3) copy
4) scroll to bottom
5) paste
6) select copy_of_
7) scroll to bottom
8) rename
9) Enter new names
10) hit ok

Yes, I count scrolling as steps. As soon as I get over 20 objects, scrolling
is a pretty huge mouse movement. What would make my life easier is two
simple things (and since they bug me, I should do them):

1) Duplicates of the action buttons near the top of the ZMI scrolling page,
or in a separate frame. I hate needing to scroll to them all the time. It's
just painful and I use them all the time. Putting them last means they are
always be as far away as possible.

2) A 'Duplicate' button that copys selected objects and puts you right into
the rename pane. Type in the new names and hit OK. This shouldn't really act
as copy then rename, but just duplicate with new names. However I'd still
want the bulk rename page. A nice trick would be to add a little javascript
to apply a regex to modify the suggested new filenames, but that would just
be icing and it would make some people hyperventilate.

Not that it's relevent, but my other pet peeve is rename doesn't allow for
swapping filenames. This is somewhat trickier since you could have N-way
conflicts but it still should be doable.

Wow, I sure do love venting!