[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Some basic questions on Zope performance/scalability

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:31:02 -0400

Please do not cross-post!

I don't know that getUsers is used anywhere outside of the standard User=20
folder managment interface. If you therefore design a custom managment=20
interface for your user folder, you can simply have it always return an e=
mpty=20
list.

There is also a parallel method "getUserNames" maybe you can just impleme=
nt=20
this one, or even have it always return an empty list. Then define custom=
=20
methods for managing your users, or have no user management interface in =
Zope=20
at all. That would be easier yet ;^)

As for where to store them, I'm no LDAP expert but that might be an avenu=
e to=20
explore. The LDAPUserFolder for Zope is quite nice and highly scalable so=
 I=20
hear.

hth,

-Casey

On Monday 09 September 2002 09:22 pm, Wankyu Choi wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> First, I apologize for posting this. I'm sure the topic has been discus=
sed=20
time and again, but I couldn't find a definite answer to my queries:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 1. I made a custom user folder using MySQL as a storage backend. But I=20
always feel wary about that User Folder method getUsers(). I have about=20
300,000 users in a MySQL db table. Is this method really meant to return =
that=20
many users? Or the fundamental design of a Zope User Folder is intended f=
or a=20
small group of users?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 2. Again, I have a 300,000-strong user base. Would it be wise to let th=
em=20
create a home folder and start adding things of their own? Could ZODB's=20
FileStorage model take that much data without any problems or without sev=
ere=20
perfomance penalty? I'm trying to pull out huge data objects as external=20
files (as I did with NeoBoard's attachments), but I guess there's a limit=
 to=20
that approach too (and it's seemingly stupid not to use ZODB for all the=20
benefits it offers).=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Simply put, say you already have 300,000 users with tons of data for ea=
ch of=20
them and you want to put them and their data somewhere in and/or outside =
of=20
Zope. What would you do?