[Zope] Zope on local machine and ZSynched to a server - could it be like Radio Userland?

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 04:17:03 +0300

Andy McKay wrote:

> Peice of cake. I started thinking about this one time playing around with
> Blogger. Blogger allows you to publish your site out to an ftp server. It

Well why not then do it. I mean you have - in you Plone windows
installer - a great start for this kind of setup too. I would actually
be interested to develope this kind of setup too - if you share your
magic in how you are creating these setup-distributions.

And since we are talking about it - I would like to also know how to
make programs / scripts into windows that add for example a new web
folder shortcut to Zope with parameteres that user writes. ,-)

What I am thinking about is the possibility to create a local Zope CMF
editor enviroment setup.exe that I could easily modify and configure for
different needs and send to almost anyone -- or let editors download the
package by themselves.

The development enviroment could be visually similar to the live service
- or even totally different - in a sense of being just an editor
enviroment and live website is also the publishing enviroment. And then
again publishing would happen on object or folder basis - to the Inbox
folder or live folder of the site. Wohoo - that would be cool.

> wouldnt be much different if one ftp'd out your say Squishdot web log onto a
> plain and cheap site with ftp access (with the obvious static problem).

I thougth about this too. I didn't quite agree on what would be the best
possible way to do dumping a rendered view of the site to an ftp server:
start with a script to go through element and view it and save that to
the server, use wget to collect everything rendered to a temporary
folder and upload that via ftp to the server or use sitecopy etc.

Too tired to think anymore ,-)

> It would be very cool. However there is obviously quite a bit of work on
> ZSyncer alone for that sort of reliability and redundancy (and all the Zope
> 2 cruft). Not sure if there is a good commercial application for it though
> ;)

,-) Yep. But in the timespan of 2 - 3 years solving the replication
would be really really really cool and open different possibilities to
Zope web applications. Think about intranet of a company that is spread
on different sites and that doesn't have good internet connections
between offices - or wants to reserve the bandwidth for something else.
They could have local servers for each office and replicate servers.. etc...

I've never used or programmed notes, but I've been told that Notes can
work like that.

--
Heimo Laukkanen
Oy Fountain Park Ltd