[Zope] Re: Zope Myths?

Johan Carlsson [Torped] johanc@torped.se
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:03:56 +0200

At 17:55 2002-09-11 +0200, Josef Meile said:
>Hi,
>
> > We've been giving some thought to the best way of
> > informing people about Zope. An outline of the ground
> > we plan to cover is at:
> >
> > http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/projects/cms/zope/ucisa-sg/mythz.htm
>
>It's interesting, but there is something that worries me:
>
> > Documental Template Markup Language (DTML) is now deprecated in favour=
 of
>Zope Presentation Templates (ZPT).
> > DTML, as well as being "proprietary", often lead to code that was hard=
>maintain. ZPT allows for a much better
> > separation of presentation and logic (the logic being done in Python or
>Perl). Moreover, ZPT is XHTML compliant
> > and can be edited with a wide range of tools.
>
>Is it true? Does it mean that future versions of Zope won't support DTML?

The reputation of its death (DTML) is widely exaggerated.
TAL doesn't replace  DTML, for instance is TAL not well suited for
non-tagged markup (such as mail messages and ZSQL Methods).

This has been very clearly state from Zope Corp from the beginning of TAL.

At the moment it also seems like DTML has an performance advantage over TAL.

DTML use the right way can separate presentation and logic equally efficient
as TAL, which has been one of the reasons TAL was developed.
DTML still doesn't solve being cross-platform in HTML-editing environments,=
=20
but
as some environments can support DTML (for instance Dreamweaver) this is
not always a necessary.

Personally I think TAL is a brilliant idea, but DTML is still easier to use=
 and
faster to learn than TAL. That bounds for it to stay around for a while.

Regards,
Johan Carlsson

--=20
Torped Strategi och Kommunikation AB