[Zope] Zope Myths?

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
11 Sep 2002 16:19:33 -0600

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 09:54, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 03:01:14PM +0100, Paul Browning wrote:
> > What have we understated/exaggerated/misunderstood?
>
> AFAIK, ZEO still does not allow you to distribute your ZODB.
> There is still a single, central ZEO server with a single
> ZODB.

Actually, using shared storage, such as one may have on a SAN, or using
a shared SCSI bus (I *strongly* recommend the FC-SAN route over the
shared SCSI ;), and a fail over server setup, you can indeed provide
fail-over ZODB services.

Yes, I know fibre channel SANs are beyond the means of most on the list,
but it is certainly possible.

In fact, I know of a way to provide multi-site fail over using ZODB and
SAN technology on Linux. In fact, if one had one of the IBM zSeries
boxes ... mmm toys ....

I've yet to try it out (looking for a new job takes too much time in
this market), but I believe one could use this method and provide
multiple read-only ZEO servers for the same DB.

--
Bill Anderson
Linux in Boise Club                  http://www.libc.org