[Zope] Memory consumtion of a zope instance

James Johnson tacomabbs@hotmail.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:52:02 +0000

I'm glad this thread was started, because I was wondering about memory
consumption on my win2k machine running one instance.  It seems to start off
using between 25-30 megs.  Now it's sitting at 38 megs.  When I login or
access certain folders like the root, it goes up between 70-90 megs. It
takes along time for met to access the root folder.  I only have 10-15
objects in the root.

Jens Vagelpohl]
>there is a lot of factors playing into this::
>
>- ZODB size

The Data.fs files is 22 megs and the Data.fs.index is 743kb.

>- hit rate on your website
I've not checked it lately, but I would say I'm classified as a small
website. I'm hosting 3 domains, I have moderate traffic.
>- ZODB cache settings

hmm,  I have the much touted "target size" set to the default 400.  I tried
changing it to 8000, with no noticable difference.
>- version of zope
2.5.0--- I'm still waiting for the next windows binary release. I can't seem
to get the list to respond to my calls for help on building a release on
win32.  So I can't benefite from a 2.6 release yet.

>- number and size of ZCatalogs used

uh err. probably many. I don't think over 10, not sure of the size of them,
or how I would check.

>IMHO i think it's really hard to give meaningful numbers.

>>I'd even be entertained and delighted to hear non-meaningful numbers,
>>though.  I say that partly in jest, but I guess I mean, "Any of the
>>out there hosting Zope care to share whatever numbers they have on >>how
>>many
>>Zope instances they can fit on a machine?"  It would be a bonus to >>have
>>some
>>information on the average Zope instance's profile a la the factors >>you
>>mention as well as stats on the machine (RAM, disk space, SCSI vs. >>Ultra
>>ATA, etc).

   Overall I use win2k on a athlon 500 with 130 megs.  I know I should be
running linux, but I'm also running oracle personal that is only taking up 7
megs of ram idle as comparted to Zopes 38 megs.  I had trouble trying to get
oracle to run on linux and it's only temporary while I finish my oracle
training.

   I've tried the call profiler, but it doesn't seem to work with the
fsobjects. So I can only test regular dtml and python scripts.  I guess I'm
suppose to set an enviroment varible in NT to turn on the internal profiler.

    If you ask me, I'd agree you need to look at buying more RAM and
possibly a ZEO thing if you plan to have that many instances running.  From
what I see that ram usage can go up 3x.

Peace,
-- James
I am a Washington State Citizen.
Spamming this Email Address may be against Washington State Law
Chapter 19.86, and 19.190 RCW. http://www.wa.gov/ago/junkemail/protect.html