[Zope] Unicode/string question

Chris Muldrow cmuldrow@fredericksburg.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:12:38 -0400

> You are mixing:
> 1. A unicode string
> 2. A plain 8-bit string with characters outside the ascii range.
>
> Its not clear from the code fragment which strings are the unicode ones, and
> which are not. I suggest you work all in unicode.... You need to convert
> those 8 bit strings into unicode strings by applying a character encoding
> using code like...
>
> myunicodestring = unicode(my8bitstring,'utf-8')
>

> ....substitute 'utf-8' for whatever character encoding you are using.

 returnedhtml=""
 storypooge=context.xmlheadparse('/var/www/ap/'+urlfeed)
 for x in range(len(storypooge)):
     returnedhtml=returnedhtml+'&#149 <a
 href="/News/apmethods/apstory?urlfeed='
     url=context.nntpnamestripper(storypooge[x][1]) # this is a string
     headline=storypooge[x][0] # This is unicode
     returnedhtml=unicode(url, "ascii")
 return returnedhtml

When I do this (with any encoding) I get "decoding unicode is not supported"
error