[Zope] New server recommendations

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:15:14 +0200

Howard Hansen wrote:

>>From recent discussions, it appears that Zope doesn't benefit much from a
> dual processor system, but it does benefit from higher clock rates and more
> RAM.  So should I invest in a faster single-proc system with a couple of
> gigs of RAM, or go with a slower dual-proc box?

I wouldn't state it this way. From what I read from various posts,
there's a subtle difference to what you said.

- A system which has more daemon processes running than zope (likely)
can profit from multiprocessor configs, because the processes will
spread across processors.

- There is a problem with mulitproc configs when the zope process
wanders between procs (cache coherency and whatnot), so the os having
the possibitilty to restrict process to single processors is a big
advantage.

cheers,
oliver