[Zope] Diacriticals in ZMI

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:27:03 -0700

If I fire up a fresh mozilla it goes to a blank page (my standard startup
page). Mozilla shows the character encoding is indeed Western ISO 8859-1.
However, when I view the ZMI, the encoding shifts to Unicode UTF-8.
Experiments with other pages seem to indicate Mozilla is detecting the
encoding correctly but it's difficult to be certain.

If I had to guess, I'd say Zope is claiming to be UTF-8 but not handling
user supplied data (properties) correctly. They just get spat out as-is,
which in this case is ISO 8859. This makes sense since I don't think Zope
has any way of knowing if the user properties are UTF or ISO 8859 or what.

It turns out I can use &blah; style encoding in titles and that seems to be
okay with Moz and IE6. The only problem is they display in the ZMI as
&blah;. This is correct but annoying.

Thanks for everyones help.

Charlie