[Zope] Re: Access Rules

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:17:05 -0700

"Chris McDonough" <chrism@zope.com> replied:

> The first problem you have is that you're trying to compute the time
> differences between page switches in realtime.  Don't do that.  Log
> the simple stuff first and postprocess it to get the more
> complicated stuff.
>
> Furthermore, I think the second problem you have is one of
> filtering.  There are some URL accesses that you don't care about
> (like accesses to the "chrome" and images that make up the UI) and
> that's OK.  Just give the objects that you *do* care about a "file
> extension" something like "_html".  So each thing you want to render
> in ZZZZ, call it "page1_html", "page2_html", etc.  Log every page
> access using a URL.  Then filter the log based on your file
> extension before postprocessing.

Yes, I'd thought about using the Z2.log file, but decided it would be easier
to do it in the guts of Zope becasue I could programatically resolve
ambiguities when they arise.  Looks like I may need to back off from that
position.

It is true that the Z2.log is adequate most of the time although there
are instances where I cannot detemine whether a logged GET is a page
closing event or not.  Processing the Z2.log file would have to be done
in pseudo real-time since the usage report is supposed to be available
as a snapshot on demand.

The naming conventions pretty much match the ones you suggest.

Thanks.  I give the Z2.log a go.