[Zope] Re: List of "current" and deprecated products?

Andreas Tille tillea@rki.de
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:42:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, David Mitchell wrote:

> Agree completely, Mark!  Unfortunately, this particular opportunity has the
> following characteristics:
> - it'll always be at least slightly out of date, meaning the maintainer will
> get hit with the metaphorical stick on a regular basis by ungrateful people
> (e.g. "Why are you recommending X?  Don't you know Y is out?  Don't you know
> ANYTHING?...")
> - in order to create such a list, you'd have to be across an enormously
> diverse group of products.  I doubt whether any one person has that breadth
> of knowledge, save possibly someone working at zope.com fielding obscure
> support or technical questions day after day
There are Bug Tracking Systems available which can solve those issues
automatically.  Perhaps I should search the archive it was about half
a year ago when my mail about this issue was more or less (publically)
ignored (perhaps something behind the scene was done??).

I know the Debian Bug Tracking System very well, there is Bugzilla and
there is a open verison of the SourceForge software available.  Why not
have thos zope products controlled by those systems?

> - to maintain the list, you'd have to have sufficient knowledge to not need
> to use it yourself.  In other words, you'd be providing a service that you
> yourself wouldn't need to use.  That's a BIG ask of just about anyone, unless
> they're getting paid to do it.
A manually maintained list would just add another outdated document because
it can't be sanely managed as you stated.  But there are tools and those
tools have definitely be used in projects like Zope.

> Hopefully someone from zope.com will think "What a great idea!" and take it
> on as a skunkworks project.  I can dream, can't I?
Hopefully Sidnei da Silva <sidnei@x3ng.com.br> had something like this in
mind in his posting.

Kind regards

         Andreas.