[Zope] Performance ( lack of ?) problems

Brian Sullivan brians@meetingbywire.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:59:58 -0400

I am running Zope 2.5 on a Win2000 server.

The server is not a total screamer but is pretty capable I think ( 800
mhz PIII 256 mB ).

>From within a python script, I am trying to, while uploading a text
file, create some Zope folder objects for each line in the text file.
Each line in the text file causes creation of an object and a couple of
child objects and in each child object 3-10 more objects ( and in the
future the number may increase).

I am finding that each line read takes 1-3 seconds of real time in the
script to create the required objects -- I am hoping to upload files and
process having between 500-2500 lines using this technique but at this
rate it will not be possible. I am currently trying to determine if
there is a particular area that is causing the problem but I haven't
found anything obvious yet ( using the profiler and manipulating the
coded). Is this level of performance expected, am I likely doing
something bizarre that is causing this performance problem? If this is
expected performance, is there some other technique I should be using?

Any guidance accepted.