[Zope] Major problems with slow catalog querie

Gitte Wange gitte@mmmanager.org
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:45:56 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Casey Duncan" <casey@zope.com>
To: "Gitte Wange" <gitte@mmmanager.org>; <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Major problems with slow catalog querie

> On Friday 20 September 2002 07:44 am, Gitte Wange wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> P.S. We are desperate to make the site run faster - we just don't know
>> how. Our server has 512 MB RAM in it so ..
>
> Tweaking the ZODB cache is all well and good, but I'm not sure it will
make a
> dramatic improvement (but it might, you never know).

I find it very difficult to "hit" the right number for 'Target size' but I'm
working at :-)
Right now tha numbers are:
Total number of objects in the database: 49006
Total number of objects in all caches: 23404
Target size: 5000
Target max time between accesses: 60

And I was supposed to make the caches objects count and the target size
numbers alike ? (Not to far from each other?)
Wow :-)
I'm at a hard job here ...

> Are you doing any sort of page caching in front of Zope, either using
Squid or
> Apache/mod_proxy? This can make a huge difference in performance. And just
> setting up the caching servers are not enough, you also need to setup
caching
> policies using HTTP Cache Managers.
>
> Even if you don't have a caching server, setting up RAM Caches for
frequently
> called scripts and page templates containing canned queries (like latest
> news, lists of objects, etc) can be a big win. HTTP Cache Managers can be
> still be used on images, static files, and even semi-static pages to tell
the
> browsers to cache them and refresh them only at controlled intervals.
>
> Here is some add't info:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/rbeer/caching
> http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/howto/squid

Thanks Casey I'll look at the links ...
We are using Apache/mod_proxy in front of Zope in order to use Virtual
Hosting ...
Would it be better to use Squid instead ??

Greetings,
Gitte Wange