[Zope] Re: updating catalog takes forever (never really completes)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:24:01 +0200

Christopher N. Deckard writes:
 > Well, the catalog update finally completed.  I don't know exactly
 > how long it too, but I know it was more than 6 or 7 hours.
Fine.

 > There are a fair number of indexes and meta-data fields.  Could this
 > be the reason why it's sooooo, sssllllooowww?
For each entry in the MetaData table and each index, the correspondingly
named method is called on each objects in your catalog.

If you have lots of metadata or lots of indexes or expensive methods
or lots of objects, this may take some time...

 > I'd also like to note that I had to update the catalog because after
 > removing two meta-data fields, a lot of the other meta-data had the
 > wrong values in it.  Say I had foo, bar and baz as meta-data fields.
 >  If I remove bar, foo would have baz's data and baz foo's.  Ideas on
 > that one?  Known bug?  Side-effect of too many meta-data fields?
Its an implementation side effect: The meta data for an objects
is stored as tuple; it does not contain the names. Therefore,
when you change the metadata scheme, the tuples are no longer in sync
and you must rebuild the metadata tuples for each object.

Dieter