[Zope] Re: updating catalog takes forever (never really completes)

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:18:35 +0100

On Monday 23 Sep 2002 9:28 am, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> Toby Dickenson wrote:
> >>This is something I don't like about Zope: that the index isn't just =
an
> >>index. If it wasn't so expensive to get the original objects there wo=
uld
> >>be no need to keep around this (duplicated,redundant) data.

> In indexes, yes, that's not really redundant, is an index after all.
> But metadata? It seems it is just a workaround to a limitation of the z=
odb.

The limitations are not in the zodb, but in the objects which are being=20
indexed. Having the ZCatalog cache methods is useful if the methods are s=
low,=20
or the objects large. Folders do the same thing in a less flexible way; t=
hey=20
always cache the metatype and id of their contained objects.

If you are indexing lightweight objects with fast methods then you dont n=
eed=20
to use ZCatalog metadata. Unlike Folders, ZCatalog gives you the choice.