[Zope] Can Zope Handle This Site ?

Toon Moene toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:50:34 +0200

L.S.,

Web design / content management is not my bread and butter (as my
signature might explain :-), but I have to evaluate a proposal to bring
my (real life) employer's site under a content management system.

After a European Tender procedure, we're left with several offers in the
high 6 digits (Euro's ~ Dollars).

These are the characteristics of our site:

1. O(10**5) pages, of which probably half are stale.

2. Mostly static content - the dynamic pages are updated at most a few
    times per day.  Content consists of text and static pictures.

3. O(10**6) hits per day on average, which might shoot up to O(10**6)
    hits per hour under special circumstances (~10 times per year).

In the future we might consider (in addition to the above):

4. Pictures worth O(100Kb) - O(1Mb) updated every 15 minutes.

5. Loops of the above with 4 - 12 pictures, updated every 15 minutes.

The obvious questions are:

1. Can Zope handle a site like this (items 1-3) ?

2. Can it handle the update (items 4-5) ?

3. Is it possible to give a rough estimate of the amount of work
    to bring this site under Zope's CMF (working hours) ?

It could well be these questions just show my ignorance; what
information is lacking to make an educated guess ?

Thanks in advance,