[Zope] w3c validation and <base .../> tag

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:48:04 -0400

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:38:25PM +0200, Ulrich Wisser wrote:
> > Perhaps another option would be to make zope have an option to spit out the
> > ' /' or not rather than requiring source code changes. Alas, this would also
> > affect other products. Image, for example, also spits out ' />'.
>
> yes, but for the image tag the w3c validator does not
> complain. I don't even get a warning for that it is ignored.
> Whereas the <base .../> tag is tagged as error. STRANGE!?!

Hmm.. interesting. This implies that W3C did alter its validator to accept
'/' as an attribute on the img tag. Seems like they'd be willing to do so
for the base tag as well, I see no reason why that would be different.

PS. Please don't use 'The Bat' as its authors feel they have to include the
envelope sender in a reply-to-all. In the case of the Zope list that is
zope-admin@zope.org. I have talked to the authors and they seem to want to
ignore the RFCs and common practice and leave their product broken.
Alternatively, at least delete the envelope sender from the list of
addresses you reply to.

--
Martijn Pieters