[Zope] OT: drop down menus

Max M maxm@mxm.dk
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:06:23 +0200

Tim Hicks wrote:

> I'm trying to find the most cross-platform, and most gracefully
> degrading drop-down/pop-out menu system.

Hiermenus works nicely.
http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/hiermenus/
You got to pay $30 for a site license though.

Another thing is: don't use dropdown menu's on a website. It is bad site
architecture.

Most well designed sites use a "news triangle" as the narrative
structure. This means that the most important news is on top, and that
less and less important news is at the bottom at the triangle.

If you use dropdown menus most people will jump straight to the less
important information, ignoring or missing the more important parts.

It can be used with succes on an intranet though. If people has a well
defined task to do and they want to get there fast to do it, then a drop
down menu is good.

regards Max M