[Zope] REQUEST_METHOD 'LOCK' 'LOCK'

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:14:42 +0100

Mark Gibson wrote:
> When downloading a word off a zope server using IE, the REQUEST object
> shows the REQUEST_METHOD as 'LOCK'.  Does anyone know what this means?

it means it's being accessed via WebDAV and Zope is locking the object on Word's
behalf.

> I get a network login prompt in windows when I try download this file. I
> can just cancel through it, and I get the file fine.  Is the
> REQUEST_METHOD set to 'LOCK' related?  How/where would the
> REQUEST_METHOD be set when downloading a file

Yeah, LOCK'ing files isn't allowed by to anonymous default, but getting them is.

Zope stupidly sets MS-Author-via-dav headers all over the place, which means M$
apps try to open the files for editing (and lock them in the process).

This has been discussed on the list. The general concensus is that these headers
suck and shouldn't be going out on anything but the WebDAV SourcePort (and even
on that point opinion is divided ;-) but no-one has had time (or motivation -
pay me and I'll do it ;-) to fix this.

In the meantime, just brutally hack out any references to 'ms-author-via' in the
.py files in the /webdav folder and your life will be better for it.

cheers,

Chris