[Zope] Re: updating catalog takes forever (never really completes)

Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:41:29 +0100

On Wednesday 25 Sep 2002 2:32 pm, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
> > Oh, and the situation where, for example, you only want to know the U=
RL
> > and name of the object in the search result and don't want to have to
> > drag the whole of, say, a 10Mb file object into memory just to do so.
>
> This is what I was objecting to in the first place (not criticizing
> microprocessor design neither deciding that every form of caching is
> bad): it shouldn't be necessary to load a 10Mb object into memory just
> to access its name.

Yes, that would be a badly designed Zope object.

Zope's standard File objects store file data in a number persistent objects
sperate from the one persistent object which reperesents its ZMI aspects. To
get the title you need to load an object which is probably no more than 1k,
which contains the title, id, permissions, last modified time, cached
content/type and size.

If your objects are in a ZEO server, it might cost a network round trip. If
they are in a FileStorage, it might cost a disk head seek.

Even so, its fast.

Possibly fast enough for you and many other uses.

But ZCatalog metadata is faster.