[Zope] Web application for Property company

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:56:47 +0200

--On Donnerstag, 26. September 2002 17:52 +0800 Brian <newbie@konzoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of building web application for a property company.
> This property company has staffs who works as agent for the company.
>
> The company is thinking to have a portal which can do following:
> -The agents can customize his/her own page -> agentA.propertyPortal.com
> or agentB.propertyPortal.com
> -The agents can post pictures of his/her properties in his working
> directory/page.
>  Basically each agent has an independent portal solution which include
> search capabilities.
>
> -But if the user logon to the main portal which is www.propertyPortala.com
> the user can search entire properties of the whole agents.
>
> My questions:
> -If I use Zope, shall I use CMF?

This sounds like a very good job for CMF since it supports customizing
the look and feel through skins.

> -Would it be enough to build this type of application only knowing: DTML
> and Python?

Python, CMF and ZPT should be your choice.

> Can someone judge how long this will take?

Depends on your knowledge in Zope, CMF and Python, ZPT....and
your requirements...hard to say how long it will take....

> Consider: -I'm a Java programmer and don't know much about Python
>                 -I know DTML and basic Zope.

..learning by doing...learn about Zope by reading the Zope Book;
learning Python should not the hardest task....

Andreas