[Zope] applets and Zope?

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 17:11:53 -0700

I've been trying to get an exemplar to work and could use a bit of advice.
The applet and associated Java mechanisms are stored in the external file
system and made visible to Zope through the External Filesystem product.
The Java Applet and associate HTML are stored in a DTML Document and
referenced by a DTML method that renders it using <dtml-var>.

It sorta works, but the applet can't seem to find some of the Java
Classes it needs, even thought they appear in the external file system.

I have codebase, code, and archive set correctly.  I have a Zope
External File System folder, XXX, that contains the applet, some
supporting classes, and an archive.  The actual HTML code referencing
the applet is also stored there.

In the applet, codebase is set to the Zope URL of the folder:

	http://...../XXX/

code is set to the parent Java class

	foo.class

and archive is set to the URL of the archive

	http://....../XXX/foo.jar

The html code invoking the applet is called with a normal dtml-var
(name, not expr).  It appears to render properly and sets off the
Java system, invokes foo.class, and then dies with a

	NoClassDefFound

error.  The class is clearly present at the same level as foo.class,
but apparently something has confused the reference mechanism.

I've not used applets in the Zope environment before. I am not sure
whether what I'm doing is the right thing--clearly there is something
wrong since the Java system can't find the right stuff.

Is there an applet how-to?  What should I try next?  The output from
the Java console (Netscape 4.7) is not all that useful...