[Zope] another newbie rewrite problem

Dan Donaldson DDonaldson@unicef.ca
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:50:37 -0500

I'm new to the list - just in the process of evaluating Zope for =
possible use. I've had no problems setting up 2.6.1 and getting it to =
run on Apache 2 on Linux RH8. My problem comes from a lack of success =
getting Zope running behind Apache. My situation is that I am running =
only a localhost, located for now on a static IP in our LAN =
(10.1.3.225). Apache works fine, and I have no virtual hosts set up =
apart from this one:

<VirtualHost 10.1.3.225>
ServerName 10.1.3.225
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} ^/(.*)
RewriteRule ^/Zope/(.*) =
http://10.1.3.225:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/10.1.3.225:80/VirtualHostRoot=
/$1 [L,P]
</VirtualHost>

what I'm trying to do is set up a situation where via Apache, Zope will =
be serving anything requested in the /Zope directory, and all other =
requests will go to Apache. Zope will

I set up a folder in Zope at /dantest, and I can access it fine at

http://10.1.3.225:8080/dantest

I've tried various permutations of the RewriteRule, such as=20

...VirtualHostBase/http/10.1.3.25:80/VirtualHostRoot/dantest/$1
...VirtualHostBase/http/10.1.3.25:80/dantest/VirtualHostRoot/$1

but no joy.=20

I think that things are kind of getting there, however. If I try to =
access http://10.1.3.225/Zope/ using the above set up, I get the index =
of the directory /var/www/html/Zope - in other words, I get no rewrite =
and it goes via Apache to the Zope directory Apache serves. On the other =
hand, if I comment out the RewriteCond line, I get=20

You don't have permission to access /Zope/ on this server.

So there is some issue around authentication, I guess... I added a VHM =
in the folder /dantest, called it zopeIHope, thinking that if I matched =
the name of the virtual host and the VHM that that had something to do =
with it. But no. So I tried moving it to the Root and that made no =
difference either...

So what gives? I toyed with ProxyPass, - I can't be sure that the server =
that I will eventually be hosted on will allow me to use it - but I =
haven't found any documentation on what Apache 2.0 does in this regard - =
unlike mod_rewrite.so, it doesn't seem that mod_proxy is part of it, but =
that probably tells you how little I actually know about Apache.... ;-). =
>From the docs, I'd rather use RewriteRule stuff anyway.

I have a feeling that someone out there can see exactly what I'm doing =
wrong - your help greatly appreciated. I'm on the batch list so I may =
not get your reply quickly. If you can, let me know directly as well...

TIA

Dan

DAN DONALDSON
Webmaster