[Zope] Looking for variation of ExternalFile product

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:25:29 +0200

Oliver Bleutgen wrote at 2003-4-7 15:10 +0200:
 > Thanks for the answer, and sorry for not being clearer, but I not quite
 > sure myself how to really accomplish what I want. What I need is:
 >
 > 1) Files shouldn't be stored in the zodb
 > 2) Files should be managable (delete, create, update) from zope
 > 3) Files shouldn't be served from zope
 > 4) No additional administration outside apache is needed.
 >
 > The products I mentioned accomplish 1), 2) and 4). They can accomplish
 > 3), but only if users always remember to link to these files in a
 > "special" way, i.e. with a different path than they would link them if
 > they were normal zope objects.

I use an Apache Rewrite Rule (maybe via a RewriteMap) to do that.

  If the URL matches a "localFS", then the RewriteRule fires
  and serves the request directly from the file system.

  Of course, there is some administration when new "localFS"
  instances are created.

It might be an even better idea, just to put a cache before Zope
and do not worry about (occational) serving by Zope....

Dieter