[Zope] permissions issues with a CVS interface

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:56:07 +0200

Dennis Allison wrote at 2003-4-9 12:42 -0700:
 > I see a couple of possibilities--perhaps the simplest is to make the
 > 'nobody' group the CVS group.  CVS explicitly disallows commits by
 > root, but does not appear to disallow commits by 'nobody'.  Alternatively,
 > I could always spawn a suid process that performs the CVS task--but that
 > seems overkill and a potential security hole.

The easiest way would be to add "nobody" to the group "cvs".

Whether this is a good idea depends on for what other purposes
you use "nobody".

The alternative would be to run Zope as a different user
which belongs to the group "cvs".

In all these cases, an attacker which successfully broke
into your Zope might get CVS access.

Dieter