[Zope] neverending thread: zope ssl apache

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
11 Apr 2003 09:47:51 -0700

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 08:29, patrick sullivan wrote:
> > Add the port number to the VirtalHost declaration:
> >
> > <VirtualHost 10.0.0.174:443>
> >
> > And make sure your RewriteRule specifies 443 instead of 80.
>
> Have tried both of these, including specifying https, for example here:
>
>  ....https://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase...

You don't want to do that.

> and here:
>
> ....HostBase/https/mems.zyvex.com:443/VirtualH...

Excellent.

> This only causes the browser to sit and spin in place, constantly
>
> Any more suggestions?

Well... you say that apache and mod_ssl are working.  How, exactly, do
you know that?  When you made an https connection previously and it
returned the Apache default document, did it come with the certificate
you had configured?

You say your SSL stuff is elsewhere... it seems like it should work that
way, but I'm not sure it does... it's not how I do it in any event. :-)

Certificates are host-specific... if not in theory, in practice anyway.
So I put my SSL-related directives in the virtual host block used for
SSL.  I dimly recall that the main reason you'd do it the other way is
if you're building an SSL-only, single-host server... and it doesn't
sound like you are.

Seeing the browser hang is a step in the right direction, I suspect.
Previously, you weren't even reaching the correct VirtualHost... now it
would appear you're reaching it but that it doesn't work correctly yet.

I'd take a good look at what's in apcahe_home/logs/error_log for
additional clues.  SSL-related errors can be a bit obscure sometimes.

HTH,

Dylan