[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] What do we want in the way of Zope binary distributions?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:20:11 -0400

Chris McDonough writes:
 > I might be tempted to just dump the software home in /opt/Zope-X.X (or
 > somewhere else suitable) and not bother with putting the mk* scripts
 > into the a directory on the PATH (just keep them in sw_home/bin).  Then
 > again, it would be kinda nice to just type:
 >
 > $ sudo rpm -Uvh Zope-2.X.X.rpm
 > $ mkzopeinstance ~/instance

Perhaps it would be, but the multi-version issue is real.  I think the
right thing is to let people deal with that on a per-site basis; some
people will want to extend their PATH to include the Zope installation
they want to use, and others will want to always be explicit.
Infecting a "standard" bin directory isn't something we should do; if
a site wants that, they can add symlinks there on their own.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation