[Zope] ProxyPass weirdness with Plone

Des Dougan ddougan@telus.net
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:01:17 -0700

Dylan,

Thanks again for your note.

Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
>> However, I haven't got as far as testing the login
>>problem, as I need to figure out which objects from the Zope root I need
>>to populate my folder with so that I get the Plone menus. A project for
>>tomorrow!
>

> I'm not sure what that would be, aside from making sure that the CMF- &
> Plone-related products are actually installed.

Well, if I have my main site in a folder below the Zope root, I assume
that I'd have to tell it what content to place there, so in my case,
using Plone, wouldn't it be necessary to create a Plone instance there?
If I decide to host a different domain in a separate folder, I would
imagine that I would want a separate Plone setup for that domain?

> If Apache on 80 is a given in your environment, it all but certain that
> you'll want to use Apache RewriteRule or ProxyPass directives instead of
> VHM mappings.  Just to be clear, you'll want a VHM object installed
> either way.

Hmmm, from the 2.6 Zope book:

  Virtual Host Monster Mappings Tab

Use the Virtual Host Monster's Mappings tab to cause your URLs to be
rewritten if:

     * You run a "bare" Zope without a front-end webserver like Apache.
     * You have one or more folders in your Zope that you'd like to
publish as "http://some.hostname.com/" instead of
"http://hostname.com/a/folder".

That sounds like they are both usable, but mutually exclusive.

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here - I want to understand more of
how to set Plone up before I get off on too many tangents.

Regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan