[Zope] Display status updates/preventing timeouts during long operation

Robert McPeak robert.mcpeak@keyon.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:57:09 -0700

I've got an external method that performs some manipulations on a CSV file
that the user uploads to my zope site.  Processing of each line of the CSV
file takes up to 1 second (I'm querying some external systems, among other
things).  These user-uploaded files can contain several thousand lines, and
timeouts are happening before the data processing is completed.

How can I change the process to report status and prevent timeouts?  The
user is not going to like looking at a blank page for hours on end...I don't
either, for that matter. :)

How do I allow the user to download the results as a CSV file?  I can create
the CSV, but how do I do the UI part?  And, where do I put that CSV, as
temporary folders don't seem like a good idea...

Thanks.
Rob McPeak