[Zope] Network Appliances NetCache vs. Squid

Marc Burgauer marc@sharedbase.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:19:25 +0100

Thank you, Andreas!

> Squid + Zope is used on several large production sites and my experiences
> are very good. Although you need to have some knowledge because Squid
> has a lot of configuration options and it takes some time to get Squid
> tuned in the right way.

I know that it is a popular way of acceleration. One of the things I just
noticed is that a problem is maybe coming from the fact, that on my machine
a single python process has to deal with all the requests. Is there an easy
way to give a site multiple processes to server the same site? The machine
has certainly spare capacity. (I started another site on the same box and
it's fast.) Is this where I need ZEO or can this be configured for a single
instance of Zope?

Also, where can I find some good documentation on how to run Squid for Zope
and how to tune it? There are loads of references on zope.org, which one's
helped you?

> Depends on the load and the hardware of the machine. In general it is
> possible.
> For a site with lot of traffic I would a dedicated Squid machine. At least
> put the Squid cache and the Zope instance on different disks to spread IO.

The load on the machine is not the problem at this stage. I have a good RAID
and IO seems not to be the bottleneck.

Cheers

Marc